- Season 2 Episode 18
- ``Understanding & Treating Gynecological Cancers
- Featuring Dr. Amanda Stephens``
Gynecologic cancer is any cancer that starts in a woman’s reproductive organs. Cancer is always named for the part of the body where it starts. Gynecologic cancers begin in different places within a woman’s pelvis, which is the area below the stomach and in between the hip bones.
Types of Gynecologic Cancer:
- Cervical cancer begins in the cervix, which is the lower, narrow end of the uterus. (The uterus is also called the womb.)
- Ovarian cancer begins in the ovaries, which are located on each side of the uterus.
- Uterine cancer begins in the uterus, the pear-shaped organ in a woman’s pelvis where the baby grows when she is pregnant.
- Vaginal cancer begins in the vagina, which is the hollow, tube-like channel between the bottom of the uterus and the outside of the body.
- Vulvar cancer begins in the vulva, the outer part of the female genital organs.
Dr. Amanda Stephens is a board-certified OB/GYN, fellowship trained in gynecologic oncology. Originally from southeast Michigan, she obtained her Bachelor of Science in psychology with pre-health concentration from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. She went to medical school at Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine in Harrogate, TN. She completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology through Beaumont Health in Farmington Hills, MI and gynecologic oncology fellowship at AdventHealth Florida Hospital in Orlando, FL. Specializing in gynecologic cancers, preinvasive disease and challenging gynecologic surgeries, Dr. Stephens has a special interest in robotic surgery and has been designated a Robotics Surgeon of Excellence through the Surgical Review Corporation due to her high volume and excellent surgical outcomes. She is experienced in medical research and is a published author in outcomes of robotic surgery and endometrial cancer, contributing to numerous works in other gynecologic disease sites. She relocated to Tallahassee, FL in 2019, with her husband and two children, and has led the gynecologic oncology division at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare since that time.
Visit https://neighborhoodmedicalcenter.org/ to learn more about accessing health care.
Mind Your Body & Soul is available every Wednesday at:
Mind Your Body & Soul: The Healthy Podcast
Mind Your Body & Soul: The Healthy Podcast is hosted by Joseph Ward, Mathias Sweet, and Mrs. Alana Steaple. Mind Your Body & Soul is an educational podcast that focuses on all thing’s health related, to help our listeners learn more about various health topics and information they may not have had access to. We seek to inform, empower, uplift and, mobilize our listeners to become the healthiest versions of themselves.
Joseph Ward is the Outreach Specialist/Health Educator for the Ryan White Program with Neighborhood Medical Center.
Mathias Sweet is the Ryan White Program Director for Neighborhood Medical Center.
Mrs. Alanna Steaple, MSN, APRN, AGPCNP-BC, AACRN-C, is the Ryan White Provider for Neighborhood Medical Center.